Do It Yourself -
- If it is a simple fix, such as applying some sealant over a small leak, doing it yourself can be quicker than trying to schedule a professional to check out the issue.
- If you built your own home or recently replaced your roof, you might already have leftover shingles, so you save on product costs.
- You’ll also save the cost of hiring someone.
- You have the chance to impress your wife or good-looking neighbor by being so handy.
- If you don't know what you're doing, you can turn a small problem into a much larger issue - a small leak can turn into a structural issue if it isn't taken care of the correct way.
- You could cost yourself a lot of extra money by making small mistakes. For example, purchasing the wrong type of shingle, nailing the shingles incorrectly, or improperly installing flashing.
- It's dangerous! Falling off of a roof has the potential to cost you thousands of dollars in medical bills, or even your life!
- Your have the chance to embarrass yourself in front of your wife or good-looking neighbor when doing it yourself doesn't exactly go the way you expected it to.
Hiring a Professional -
- You don’t have to get up on the roof. That saves you a lot just in peace of mind.
- When you hire a professional, you know the job’s going to be done right, and done well.
- A roofer will also be able to tell you if there’s anything else going on with your roof that you need to know about. Many professionals offer a free inspection so you know exactly what’s happening with your roof, why it needs to be fixed, and how much it will cost.
- If you’re replacing your entire roof, hiring a professional usually means there is a manufacturers warranty available, such as the GAF Golden Pledge Lifetime Warranty, if it is installed by a certified professional. This can save you a lot of headaches in the future.
- If the roofing company does something wrong, they will be able to fix it for you with the worry of having to pay for it!
- Your wife or good-looking neighbor will look at your perfect new roof and be impressed.
- If it’s a simple task, it might cost more to have a professional do it than to just fix it yourself. The added cost won’t always outweigh the benefits.
- There’s also the hassle of making sure you can get a professional out to your home when it’s convenient for you, both when they do the inspection, and later when they come back to finish the repairs.
- Finally, if you have a repair you need done right away, you might have to wait to get a trusted professional to do it.